The Christians who worship at East End make a positive difference in our local community. We are a people who are “zealous for good deeds” as the Bible teaches in Titus 2:14. Christians here participate in good deeds ranging from volunteering to help out at local schools to providing assistance to the poor and hungry. But don’t be surprised if you don’t hear much about it.
You see, one of the things that really disgusted Jesus about the religious people of his day was their constant bragging. Everytime they did good works they wanted all the attention, the credit, and the praise for themselves! They were more concerned with getting an ego-boost than with actually helping people.
Jesus taught his followers to be different. He wants us to do good works so that people can see the light and love of God. To keep the focus on God, Jesus calls for more humility and even a little more secrecy. Just consider Matthew 6:1-8
- Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.
- So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
- But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
- When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
- But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
- And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.
- So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
So, although we may be more quiet about our good works in the community than other churches you hear about, please know that we care passionately about helping others here and around the world to God’s glory. We hope this helps you understand why we don’t talk about our specific good deeds very publicly, and inspires you to get out and do something good secretly too!